Thank you for Subscribing to CIO Applications Weekly Brief
Tips to Leverage Artificial Intelligence in Retail to Improve In-Store Customer Experience
The next big thing in retail is to provide an enhanced in-store experience with personalized recommendations, offers, and product support based on customer age, gender, location, and behavior
Fremont, CA: Over the last decade, the retail industry has seen a surge in technological advancements. After being influenced by the Ecommerce revolution, the retail sector has been instrumental in adopting and innovating new technologies into the market. With the advent of new technologies such as IoT, mobile, and AI, most retail behemoths have recognized the potential for leveraging these technologies to transform their retail operations and customer experience.
• Personalized In-Store Recommendations: Assume a customer is looking at a specific item in a store, and you can send a personalized recommendation on their phone for a product that meets their needs. One method is to use retail store mobile apps. When a customer enters the store and launches the store app, the in-store sensors can recognize and track the customer's activities and behaviors.
• Personalized Out-of-Store Recommendations: AI can help you engage your customers both in-store and outside of the store. AI-enabled store apps can help you learn a lot about your customers' purchases and preferences by analyzing previously collected data.
• Intelligent Customer Experience: AI-powered devices such as kiosks and digital signage units can recognize customers and adapt product displays in-store. Furthermore, AI-powered automated assistants can study customer behavior and help them feel more confident in their purchase decisions by recommending products based on their needs, preferences, and fit.
• Visual Search and Listen: One of the most rapidly growing areas of AI is image recognition. The main advantage for retailers here is that customers can search for items without having to walk around. For example, an AI-powered kiosk can search for a product in-store using a customer-supplied image and notify customers of similar products' exact location in the store.
• Voice Assistants: Amazon Alexa, Apple's Siri, and Google Assistant are maturing as machine learning algorithms and models improve. These AI-powered voice assistants can easily be used in retail stores to assist customers at shelves, trial rooms, and self-checkouts.