Increasing cyber breaches and data leaks ended up to the advent of data regulations. General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) is a well-known one in the industry, implemented to maintain information security. The objective of such data regulations is to make data protection and compliance a key practice at all organizations. Companies strive to implement the same in their business to 100 percent as they face obstacles restricting full-fledged compliance.
Among various challenges, mobility is probably the major one. Smart devices and cloud computing have enabled businesses to go mobile and extend their reach but this also brought a challenge to data security which got overlooked for benefits. Organizational data is shared and accessed from various devices that are out of security guidelines. Also, the concept of remote hiring is an obstruction as systems accessing the information are not under the control of the business’s IT department. Lack of proper knowledge on cybersecurity methods also results in non-compliance of data regulations.
Complying data regulations is a complex task. Inputs from all departments are required, a process needs to be formed that could easily trickle down the hierarchy. Data protection and privacy should be given proper attention which requires education and cultural change. Few methods to bring data regulations at the core for information security have mentioned below.
• Assign budget and responsibilities for data regulations.
• Map the flow of data internally and externally with documentation of usage, storage, and processing of personal data.
• Mold transparent data protection policies which easily can be endorsed by seniors and understood by all.
• Bring effective tools and processes to effect to manage and execute policies and protects an organization from risks of personal data.
• Training and awareness programs for staff to educate them about security and regulatory compliance
• Implement a process to deal with data breaches, leaks, and non-compliance issues.
• Clear data processing records must be maintained to demonstrate compliance with regulations to supervising authorities.